Heritage

Add to favorites

Walking around La Forêt-Fouesnant, you’ll come across historical buildings, like the Gothic-style 16th-century Notre Dame Izel Vor church, or the Manoir de Mesmeur, a classical 18th-century manor house. You’ll also see ancient wash houses and fountains. In fact, lovely little treasures await around every corner. 

Church

Church

Notre Dame Izel Vor Church

This church, or mini countryside cathedral, which was largely built during the first half of the 16th century, is dedicated to Notre Dame of Izel Vor (Lady of the Low tide). It was listed as a historical monument in 1914. 

Its splendid bell tower is one of the best examples of 16th-century architecture in the Cornouaille region. On days with a very high attendance, its calvary was used as a prayer pulpit. Polychrome statuary adorn the inside the church, while other remarkable features include a 17th-century baptismal font, a painting of the Rosary and the panelled altarpiece above the high altar. A glass cabinet houses several parish treasures, including a 16th-century gilt-silver chalice. 

  • Open all year for self-guided visits (Note: the church is currently undergoing refurbishment and may exceptionally be closed).
  • Free fact sheet available at the Tourist Office. 
  • Times of services 

Peniti Chapel and outdoor theatre

Peniti Chapel and outdoor theatre

Peniti Chapel and outdoor theatre

Known as the Chapel of Saint-Maudez or Peniti (penitence), and built during the 18th century.
Like many of the chapels in the region, this rectangular-shaped construction with a polygonal sanctuary is built atop an escarpment.
Inside, a series of 14 frescoes depict the Passion of Christ. They were the work of Victoire de Saint-Luc, a nun from Douarnenez who was guillotined in 1794 at the age of 33. The chapel is privately owned and closed to the public. 

Within the outdoor theatre, just beside the chapel, you’ll find a bread oven and a fountain, which have been rebuilt as exact replicas of those that once stood there. The water from the fountain was known to help children to walk. 

At Peniti Outdoor Theatre: 

  • Les Nuits Celtiques de Peniti. Celtic music and dance performances. Every Wednesday in July and August, at 9 p.m. Free entry. 
  • Ça Jazz à La ForêtJazz concert in July. Free entry. 
  • Aux Rythmes du Monde. World music concert in August. Free entry. 

Hamlet of Loc Amand

Hamlet of Loc Amand

The hamlet of Loc Amand

Here we find the ruins of the ancient priory of Saint-Amand, founded in 1069. A high outer wall can be seen, as well as a beautifully carved basket-arch stone gate topped with a counter-curve design adorned with two leafy pinnacles.  
Before the gate stands a protohistoric stele dating from the Iron Age. The cross at its summit is a sign of christianisation. The stele was redressed in 1903 after having been long abandoned. It became a listed historical monument in 1967.

Chef du Bois watermill

Chef du Bois watermill

The Chef du Bois watermill

The Chef du Bois watermill building is thought to date from the 15th century, however it is known to have been used as a mill from 1772, from the date carved on one of its spillways. It was listed as a historical monument in 1939. It is remarkable in its corbelled turrets and dressed stone masonry. 
The mill is open to the public in June during the Journées des Moulins (Mill Days) and in September during the Journées du Patrimoine (National Heritage Days). 

Saint-Laurent cairn

Saint-Laurent cairn

The Saint-Laurent cairn

Discovered in 1961 and restored in 1962 and 1966.
This rectangular cairn, dating from 3,000 BC, is a listed historical monument and can be viewed behind protective fence. It is possible to make out two of the burial mound’s three separate tomb chambers. Several artefacts were discovered at the site, including flints, polished axes and pottery. The cairn lies within the Domaine du Saint-Laurent campsite – See reception to request access.